About Vegetable Dum Biryani:
Vegetable Dum Biryani is one of most popular, aromatic, and delicious food loved by many. In Vegetable Dum Biryani rice is layered with cooked vegetables, spices, herbs, and ghee. It can be served at lunch time or at dinner time with raita of your choice or with mirch ka salan.
- 1 medium sized carrot washed and chopped.
- 1 potato washed, peeled, and chopped.
- Some chopped French beans.
- Some green peas.
- Some cauliflower flowerets
- 2 cups of long grain basmati rice or biryani rice.
- 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste.
- 5-6 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- 2-3 tablespoons of ghee.
- 4-5 medium sized onions thinly sliced.
- 1 cup curd or yogurt.
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder.
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala (powder of cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, bay leaf, star anise).
- Red chilli powder as per taste.
- Salt as needed.
- Chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Pinch of food color or few strands of saffron.
- Slit green chilies to taste.
- Some whole spices like 3-4 cloves, 3-4 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamoms, 1 cinnamon stick, 8-10 black peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, and 1 star anise.
- Water as required to boil the rice.
Note: You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on for how many people you are making for.
Marination of Vegetables:
- In a bowl, take washed, cleaned, and chopped vegetables.
- Add all powdered spices and garam masala, beaten curd or yogurt, slit green chillies, some chopped mint and coriander leaves, and salt to taste and mix all ingredients well.
- Keep the marination for 1 hour or if possible, keep whole night in the fridge.
Boiling Rice for Biryani:
- Wash the long grain basmati rice or biryani rice and soak it for 15-20 minutes.
- Take a deep and heavy bottom pan and pour enough water to boil the rice.
- Add whole spices like cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, bay leaf, and star anise.
- Add one tablespoon of ghee or cooking oil and salt to taste.
- Let the water come to a boil in high flame.
- When water comes to a boil, add in the soaked rice and cook it in high flame until rice is 70-75% cooked or just 7-10 minutes.
- Then switch off the flame and strain the rice and keep aside for later use.
Preparation of Vegetable Biryani:
- Take a deep and heavy bottom pan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add 5-6 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot, add in the sliced onions and cook the onions on a high flame untill its golden brown in color.
- Keep some brown onion aside for dressing.
- Now add the marinated vegetables and cook them on a medium flame for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are half cooked.
- Then switch off the flame and keep the cooked vegetables aside.
- Now take a handi or kadai and make layers of cooked vegetables and rice.
- Garnish this with some chopped coriander and mint leaves, fried onions, pinch of garam masala, ghee, and saffron soaked with milk.
- Cover the handi with a lid.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan on the stove and place the handi on the top of the pan.
- Cook the biryani on slow flame for 20-30 minutes and or until the biryani is well-cooked and then switch off the flame.
- Serve the vegetable biryani with any kind of raita.