About Tomato Rice:
Tomato rice is a simple, tasty, and tangy flavoured South Indian dish. It is made with rice, lots of tomatoes, whole and powdered spices, and herbs. It is a one pot recipe and its very easy and quick to make if you have all ingredients ready.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- 1-1/2 cups of long grain basmati rice washed and soaked for 20-30 minutes.
- 2 medium sized onions thinly sliced.
- 4 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped or pureed.
- 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil and 3-4 tablespoons of ghee (if you want you can make this rice with only ghee or with oil, but here I am using both).
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 3-4 cloves.
- 2 green cardamoms.
- 1 whole dry red chilli.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste.
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Some finely chopped mint leaves.
- Finely chopped green chillies to taste.
- Salt to taste.
- 2-1/2 cups of water (Here I have soaked the rice for 20-30 minutes, so I am using 2-1/2 cups of water. If you have not soaked the rice, then use double the amount of water like if you are using 1 cup of rice, then use 2 cups of water in the same measuring cup in which you have measured the rice).
- 8-10 broken cashew nuts.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala.
Note: Here I am making the tomato rice in a pressure cooker, if you want you can make this rice in an open pot and adjust the water accordingly. You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on for how many people you are making for.
Method of Making Tomato Rice:
- Take a pressure cooker and turn on the flame.
- When pressure cooker is hot, add 3-4 tablespoon of ghee and 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 green cardamoms, 3-4 cloves, 1 whole dry red chilli, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and let the cumin seeds to splutter.
- Now add thinly sliced onions and mix them well.
- Now add 8-10 broken cashew nuts and mix them well.
- Now saute the onion on a medium to high flame until onion turns translucent.
- Now add 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste and mix well.
- Now cook the garlic ginger paste on a low to medium flame for 1-2 minutes or until the raw flavour of the garlic ginger is gone.
- Now add some finely chopped mint leaves, finely chopped coriander leaves, and finely chopped green chillies to taste and mix them well.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes or tomato puree, salt to taste, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/2 coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and mix them well.
- Now cook the tomatoes on a medium to high flame until its soft and mushy. Stir occasionally.
- Now add soaked long grain basmati rice and mix gently so the that the grains does not break.
- Now gently fry the rice on a low flame for 10-20 seconds.
- Now add 2-1/2 cups of water and mix them well.
- Now increase the flame and let the water come to a boil.
- When water comes to a boil, cover the lid and cook the rice on a high flame for 2 whistles or until the rice is well cooked.
- Now turn off the flame and let the pressure cooker to release the pressure itself.
- Now open the lid and mix the rice very gently and remove the rice into a serving bowl.
- Serve this rice hot with any kind of raita of your choice or with papad.