About Matar Paneer:
Matar Paneer is one of the most popular creamy and rich Indian vegetarian recipes. Mater Paneer is made with green peas, paneer, onions, tomatoes, powdered and whole spices, and herbs. Its delicious and flavourful. It is often served with rice or any kind of Indian breads.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- 200 gm of paneer cut into cubes.
- 1 cup of frozen or boiled green peas.
- 5-6 tablespoons of cooking oil or ghee.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 black cardamom.
- 7-8 garlic cloves.
- 1-2 inches ginger.
- 2 medium sized onion roughly chopped.
- 2 medium sized tomatoes roughly chopped.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste.
- 2 green chillies or to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala.
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves).
- Some chopped coriander leaves.
- Water as needed.
- Salt to taste.
Note: You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on for how many people you are making for.
Method of Making Matar Paneer:
- Take a pan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
- When oil is hot, add on the garlic cloves, ginger, and roughly chopped onions and mix them well.
- Now add 2 green chillies or to taste and mix them well.
- Now saute them on a low to medium flame until onions are soft and translucent.
- Now add roughly chopped tomatoes and cook them until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Then, switch off the flame and let the masala to cool down and make a smooth paste of it and keep aside.
- Then, take a kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add on the paneer pieces and shallow fry them (if you want you can deep fry the paneer or you can use the raw paneer also).
- Now shallow fry the paneer until paneers are light brown in colour and then remove the paneer and keep aside.
- Now on the same kadai, add 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil or ghee.
- When the oil is hot, add 1 bay leaf, 1 black cardamom, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and let the cumin seeds to splutter.
- Now keep the flame on low and add on the powdered spices like red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and kasuri methi and cook them for 10 seconds on a low flame.
- Then, add on the paste which we have made out of garlic, ginger, green chilli, onions, and tomatoes and mix them well.
- Now cook the masala on a low to medium flame for at least 10 minutes or until oil gets separated from the masala.
- Then, add on the frozen or boiled green peas and salt to taste and mix them well.
- Now add water as required and mix them well.
- Now cover the lid and cook them on a low to medium flame for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now add on the shallow fried paneer and mix them well.
- Now cover the lid and cook them for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala and mix them well.
- Now cover the lid and cook them for 1-2 minutes more.
- Now add some finely chopped coriander leaves and mix them well.
- Now switch off the flame and give at least 5 minutes of resting time to mater paneer.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid and pour the matar paneer into a serving bowl.
- Serve this hot with roti, rice, paratha, poori, nan, or with jeera rice or ghee rice.