About Shimla Mirch Aloo Bhurji:
This is a simple and delicious Indian vegetarian recipe made with capsicum and potato with very minimal spices. Its healthy and very delicious. It goes well with roti, paratha, or with rice as a side dish. Shimla Mirch known as capsicum or as bell peppers is widely grown in India. Capsicums are rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients. Capsicum is good for hair, skin, and eyes. Capsicum reliefs muscles spasms, osteoarthritis, and stomach problems. Capsicum is good for women who are undergoing menopause. Capsicum has anti-cancer properties. It is rich in vitamins, mineral, and fibers. It helps in weight loss.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- 2 medium sized green capsicums washed and cut into thin strips.
- 2 medium sized potatoes washed, peeled, and cut into thin strips.
- 1 medium sized onion roughly sliced.
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder.
- 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil of your choice.
- Salt to taste.
- 2 whole dry red chilies.
- 2 slit green chillies or to taste.
Note: You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on for how may people you are making for.
Method of Making Capsicum Aloo Fry/Bhurji:
- Take a pan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil of your choice.
- When oil is hot, add 2 whole dry red chillies, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and let the mustard and cumin seeds to splutter.
- Now add roughly sliced onions and mix them well.
- Now add 2 slit green chillies or to taste and mix them well.
- Now saute the onions on a medium to high flame until onion turns translucent.
- Now add thinly striped potatoes, capsicum, and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and mix them well.
- Now cover the lid and cook the vegetables on a low to medium flame for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are 90% cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Now add salt to taste, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste, and 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder and mix them nicely.
- Now without covering the lid, cook the vegetables on a low flame until vegetables are well cooked and tender. Stir occasionally.
- Now turn off the flame and remove the capsicum aloo fry/bhurji into a serving bowl.
- Serve this hot with roti, parath, or with rice as a side dish.