About Phool Gobhi aur Aloo Ki Sabji (Cauliflower and Potato sabji):
Phool Gobhi known as cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable. This dry sabji is made with cauliflower and potatoes with some whole spices, powdered spices, tomatoes, onions, and garlic ginger paste. This is a vegetarian recipe. This sabji is very delicious and easy to make. You can serve this sabji with any kind of Indian breads or with rice. This is a popular Indian dish.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- 1 medium sized cauliflower (approximately 300 grams) washed and cut into flowerets.
- 2 medium sized potatoes washed, peeled, and cut into cubes.
- 5-6 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped.
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped.
- 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste.
- Whole garam masala (1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick, and 2 green cardamoms).
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala.
- Salt to taste.
- Some chopped coriander leaves.
- 1/2 teaspoon hing (asafoetida).
Method of Making Phool Gobhi aur Aloo ki Sabji (Cauliflower and Potato Sabji):
- Take a kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the cauliflower flowerets and cubed potatoes and mix them well.
- Saute them on a medium flame for 5 minutes or until you see some brown spots on top of the potato and cauliflower. If you want you can deep fry them.
- Remove them and keep aside.
- Now in the same kadai, add 3-4 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot, add whole spices, 1/2 teaspoon hing, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and let the cumin seeds to splutter.
- Now add on the chopped onions and saute the onions until it turns light golden brown in color.
- Then, add 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste and cook it on a low to medium flame for 1-2 minutes or until the raw smell of the garlic ginger is gone.
- Now add the powdered spices like turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and garam masala.
- Now mix them well and cook them on a low flame for 10-20 seconds.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and salt to taste mix them well.
- Now cover the lid and cook the tomatoes on a medium flame until tomatoes are soft and mushy. Stir occasionally.
- Now remove the lid and cook the masala on a low to medium flame for 5-7 minutes or until oil gets separated from the masala.
- Now add sauted potatoes and cauliflower flowerets and mix them with the masala very nicely.
- Now cover the lid and cook them on a low to medium flame for at least 10-15 minutes or until it is well cooked. Stir occasionally so that the sabji does not stick to the bottom of the kadai.
- Now add some finely chopped coriander leaves and mix them well.
- Now turn off the flame and remove the sabji into a serving bowl.
- Serve this with roti, paratha, poori or with rice as a side dish.