About Aloo Bhaja/Aloo Bhurji:
This is a very simple and easy dish made with potato and with some spices. In Odisha, almost all households make this aloo bhaja and serves this bhaja with roti, paratha, or with rice as a side dish.
Benefits of Potato:
- Reduces inflammation.
- Regulates blood pressure.
- Improves brain health.
- Helps in digestion.
- Helps in sleep.
- Good for bone.
- Reduces premenstrual symptoms.
- Good for skin.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Removes dead skin cells.
- 2-3 large potatoes washed, peeled and cut into very thin strips or any shape.
- 2 whole dry red chillies.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil.
- Red chilli powder to taste.
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder.
- Salt as needed.
- 1 big onion thinly sliced.
Method of Making Aloo Bhaja/Bhurji:
- Take a deep heavy bottom pan and turn on the flame.
- When pan is hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot, add 2 whole dry red chillies, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Then, add thinly sliced onion and saute until the onion gets translucent.
- Then, add potatoes and turmeric powder and saute on a high flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, cover the lid and cook the potatoes on a low flame until its 80%-90% cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Then, add salt to taste, roasted cumin powder, and red chilli powder and mix them well.
- Then, cover the lid and cook the potatoes for 5 minutes or until its tender, stir occasionally so that the potatoes does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- For crispiness, remove the lid and cook the potatoes on a medium to high flame for 1-2 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Then, switch off the flame and remove this aloo bhaja/bhurji into a serving bowl.
- Serve the aloo bhaja/bhurji hot with roti, paratha, or with rice as a side dish.