About Matar Pulao:
Matar Pulao is an Indian rice made with rice, green peas, and some whole spices. It is seasoned with very mild spices. It goes well with dal, raita, or any kind of gravy. It is very tasty, delicious, and flavourful. It is very easy and quick to make. It is a one pot recipe.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- 1-1/2 cups of long grain basmati rice soaked for 10-15 minutes.
- 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen green peas.
- 2-1/2 cups of water (Here I have soaked the rice for 10-15 minutes, so I am using 2-1/2 cups of water. If you have not soaked the rice, then use double the amount of water like if you are using 1 cup of rice, then use 2 cups of water in the same measuring cup in which you have measured the rice).
- 1 tablespoon of garlic ginger paste.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 1 black cardamom.
- 2-3 green cardamoms.
- 2-3 cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1 slit green chilli or to taste.
- 1 medium sized onion thinly sliced.
- Salt to taste.
- 3-4 tablespoons of ghee or any kind of cooking oil of your choice.
Note: Here I am making the matar pulao in a pressure cooker, if you want you can make this pulao in an open pot and adjust the water accordingly. You may increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients depending on for how many people you are making for.
Method of Making Matar Pulao:
- Take a pressure cooker and turn on the flame.
- When cooker is hot, add 3-4 tablespoons of ghee or any kind of cooking oil of your choice.
- When ghee is hot, add 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 black cardamom, 2-3 green cardamoms, 2-3 cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and let the cumin seeds to splutter.
- Now add thinly sliced onions and 1 slit green chilli or to taste and mix them well.
- Now saute the onions on a medium to high flame until its turns translucent.
- Now add 1 tablespoon garlic ginger paste and mix well.
- Now cook the garlic ginger paste on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes or until the raw flavour of the garlic ginger is gone.
- Now add 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh green peas and mix the green peas with the spices nicely.
- Now saute the green peas on a medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add soaked long grain basmati rice and mix the rice very gently so that the grains does not break.
- Now fry the rice very gently on a medium to high flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add water and salt to taste and mix them well.
- Now increase the flame and let the water come to a boil.
- When water comes to a boil, cover the lid and cook the rice on a high flame for 2 whistles or until the rice is well cooked.
- Now turn off the flame and let the pressure cooker to release the pressure itself.
- Now open the lid and mix the rice very gently and remove the rice into a serving bowl.
- Serve this rice hot with any kind of raita, dal, or with any kind of gravy of your choice.