About Masoor Dal:
This is a very simple masoor dal made with boiled masoor dal and tampered with onion, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and whole dry red chillies. This is a very healthy and easy to make dal with less ingredients. It is a very thin consistency dal that goes well with steamed rice. In Odisha, almost all households make this dal and serves this dal with steamed rice accompanying with some kind of bhaja known as sauted vegetables or with mashed potato known as aloo bharta. Even if you want, you can drink this dal as soup.
Benefits of Masoor Dal (Split Red Lentil):
- Good for eyes.
- Good for skin.
- Promotes weight loss.
- Good for diabetic patient.
- Reduces the risk of cancer.
- Rich in proteins and minerals.
- Good for digestion.
- Good for bones and teeth.
- Good for heart.
- 1 cup masoor dal (split red lentil).
- Salt to taste.
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped.
- Chopped green chilli to taste (optional).
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- 2 whole dried red chillies.
- 1 medium sized onion thinly sliced.
- Water as needed.
- Some chopped coriander leaves.
- 1 tablespoon of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil or ghee.
Boiling of Masoor Dal:
- Take a pressure cooker and add washed masoor dal along with water as required to boil the dal, salt to taste, turmeric powder, chopped green chilli, chopped tomatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon of cooking oil.
- Mix them well and cover the lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on a medium flame or until the dal is well cooked.
- Then, turn off the flame and let the cooker to release the pressure itself and keep the cooked dal aside.
Tempering of Masoor Dal:
- Take a kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 1 tablespoon of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil or even you can use ghee.
- When the oil is hot, add in the whole dried red chillies and saute for 10 seconds.
- Then, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Now add thinly sliced onion and saute them until the onion turns light golden brown in color.
- Now add the boiled dal and water as required and mix them well.
- Now increase the flame and let the dal come to a boil.
- Now turn off the flame and pour the dal into a serving bowl.
- Garnish this dal with some chopped coriander leaves and serve this dal with steamed rice or even you can have it as a soup.