About Lehsuni Dal:
This is a simple dal recipe made with Toor dal tempered with crushed garlic. It is easy and quick to make. Toor Dal is packed with proteins, minerals, fibers, and vitamins. Its easy to digest and healthy.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal washed and soaked for 30 minutes.
- 1 medium sized onion.
- 2 small sized tomatoes.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste.
- 8-10 crushed garlic cloves.
- 2-3 chopped garlic cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon hing (asafoetida).
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- 2 whole dry red chillies.
- Finely chopped green chillies to taste.
- Salt to taste.
- Water as required.
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala.
- 1 sprig curry leaves.
- 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil or Ghee.
Boiling of Toor Dal:
- Take a pressure cooker and add soaked Toor dal, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, finely chopped green chillies to taste, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, salt to taste, 1-1/2 to 2 cups of water or as required, and 1/2 teaspoon of cooking oil and mix all the ingredients well.
- Now cover the lid and cook the dal on a medium flame for 4-5 whistles or until the dal is well cooked.
- Now turn off the flame and let the pressure cooker to release the pressure itself.
Note: If you want you can boil the dal in an open pot and adjust the water accordingly. You may increase or decrease the quantity of all ingredients depending upon for how may people you are making for.
Tempering of Dal:
- Take a kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add 2 whole dry red chillies, 1/2 teaspoon hing, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and let the mustard seeds and cumin seeds to splutter.
- Now add crushed garlic and curry leaves.
- Now mix them well and saute the garlic on a low to medium flame until its light golden brown in colour.
- Now add boiled dal and mix well.
- Now increase the flame and make the dal to come a boil.
- Now add some finely chopped coriander leaves and mix them well.
- Now turn off the flame and pour the dal into a serving bowl.
- You can serve this dal with roti, paratha, steamed rice, or with jeera rice.