What is Kundru:
Kundru (Ivy Gourd) is an Indian green vegetable also known as tendli. It is a great source of fiber and rich in vitamins. Kundru is commonly known in Odisha and Bengal. It is loved by most of the people there. Its easy and simple to make kundru and aloo fry with minimal use of spices.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- Kundru (Ivy Gourd) 250 grams cut into julienne.
- 1 large potato cut into wedges.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 whole dry red chilli.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste.
- 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
- 1 medium sized onion thinly sliced.
- Slit green chillies to taste.
Preparation of Kundru and Aloo Fry:
- Take a kadai and turn on the flame.
- When kadai is hot, add on 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- When oil is hot, add one whole dry red chilli break into halves and half teaspoon cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Now add thinly sliced onions and slit green chillies to taste and mix them well.
- Now saute the onion for 1-2 minutes on a medium flame or until its translucent.
- Now add kundru, aloo, and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and mix them well.
- Now cover the lid and cook them on a low to medium flame until it 90% cooked. Stir occasionally,
- When Kundru and aloo are 90% cooked, then add salt to taste, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder and mix them well.
- Now without covering the lid cook the kundru and aloo with all spices on a low flame until they are well cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Now, turn off the flame and remove the fry into a serving bowl.
- You can serve this with roti, paratha, or with rice as a side dish.