What is Kala Chana Masala:
Kala chana masala is an Indian Cuisine. It is made with onions, tomatoes, garlic ginger paste, and Indian spices. Kala chana is a type of legume loaded with protein, fiber, carbohydrates, and vitamins. It can serve with any kind of Indian breads or rice.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- 1 cup black chickpea (kala chana).
- Water as needed.
- 2 large onions chopped or paste.
- 2 large tomato chopped or pureed.
- Whole garam masala (1 bay leaves, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 black cardamom, and 3-4 cloves).
- 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste.
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric.
- Red chilli powder as per taste.
- Salt as needed.
- ½ teaspoon garam masala.
- 1 teaspoon chana masala powder (optional).
- 4-5 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil of your choice.
- Chopped coriander leaves.
- ½ teaspoon cooking soda (optional).
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves).
Boiling Of Kala Chana (Black Chickpea):
- Take one cup of black chickpea and wash it thoroughly and soak it overnight or at least 6-7 hours.
- Then, take a pressure cooker, add on the soaked black chickpea, 3 cups of water, salt and ½ teaspoon cooking soda.
- Put on the lead and cook it for at least 7-8 whistles on medium flame or until the black chickpea is well cooked.
- Then, switch off the flame and let the pressure cooker to release the pressure itself.
Method Of Making Kala Chana Masala Gravy:
- Take a kadai and add on 4-5 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil of your choice.
- When the oil is hot, add on the cumin seeds, 1 bay leaf, 2 green cardamom, 2-3 cloves, and 1 cinnamon stick.
- Then, add on the chopped onion or paste and cook on medium flame until the onion turned brown in color.
- Then add on the 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste and cook it until the raw smell of the garlic ginger paste gone.
- Then, add on the chopped or pureed tomato, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, and salt to taste and cook it until the tomato is well cooked.
- Then, add on all dry spices like cumin powder, coriander powder, chana masala (optional), red chilli powder, and dried fenugreek leaves and cook all the spices with tomato in low flame until the oil gets separated from the masala.
- Then, add on the boiled black chickpea and mix it well with masala nicely.
- Then, add on 3-4 cups of water or as you like your gravy to be and simmer it for 15-20 minutes.
- Then, add on the ½ teaspoon garam masala and then cover the lid and cook it for 3-4 minutes.
- At last, add on some chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Then cover the lid and leave the chana masala for at 4-5 minutes and then remove it into a serving bowl.
- Serve the black chana masala with plain rice, jeera rice, or with any kinds of Indian breads.