About Chawal ki Kheer:
Chawal ki kheer is basically rice pudding made with basmati rice or gobindobhog rice, milk, sugar, and nuts. It is one of the most popular kheer in India. This delicious rice pudding can be made for any festivals or as a sweet desert which you can serve after meal. You can serve this hot or chilled. This is a one pot dessert recipe.
Watch Video tutorial In Hindi:
- 1/4th cup of basmati rice or gobindobhog rice washed and soaked for 1-2 hours and then drain the water and crush the rice in your hand and keep aside.
- 1-1/2 liters of milk.
- 10-12 broken cashew nuts.
- 10-12 raisins.
- Some chopped almond and pistachio.
- Sugar to taste.
- 1 pinch salt (optional).
- 1/2 teaspoon ghee.
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder.
Method of Making Chawal ki Kheer (Rice pudding):
- Take a pan and turn on the heat.
- When pan is hot, add 1/2 teaspoon ghee.
- When ghee is hot, add broken cashew nuts and raisins and fry them on a low to medium flame until cashew nuts are light golden in colour and raisins swells up.
- Then turn off the flame and keep the fried cashew nuts and raisins aside.
- Now take a deep heavy bottom pan and add 1-1/2 liters of milk.
- Now turn on the flame and let the milk come to a boil.
- When milk comes to a boil, keep the flame low and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add soaked and crushed basmati rice or gobindobhog rice and mix well.
- Now cook the kheer on a low flame until rice is well cooked and mushy, and kheer becomes thick in consistency. Stir in every 1-2 minutes.
- Now add sugar to taste and 1 pinch salt and mix them well.
- Now cook the kheer on a low flame for 5-7 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Now add fried cashew nuts and raisins, some finely chopped almonds and pistachio, and cardamom powder.
- Now mix them well and cook the kheer on a low flame for 2-3 minutes more.
- Now turn off the flame and pour the kheer into a serving bowl.
- You can serve this hot or chilled of your choice.