What is Bhindi Fry (Okra Fry):
Bhindi Fry is stir fried okra that is fried with Indian spices such as garam masala and other locally available ground spices. It can serve with any kinds of Indian breads or as a side dish. Bhindi known as Ladies finger. This vegetable is widely used in Indian cuisine to make various dishes.
Watch Video Tutorial In Hindi:
- Tender bhindi (ladies finger/okra) 500 gm.
- 2-3 table spoons of oil or as needed.
- 2 big onions sliced.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds.
- Green chilli slitted or chopped as per taste.
- Salt as needed.
- ½ tablespoon turmeric powder.
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder.
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder.
- 1 tablespoon dried mango powder (amchur).
- ½ tablespoon garam masala.
- ½ tablespoon hing (asafoetida).
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
Preparation Of Bhindi:
- Wash the bhindi (ladies finger/okra) in running water and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or tissue.
- Chop off the both ends and discard them and chop the bhindi (ladies finger/okra) in half inch pieces and keep aside.
Method Of Bhindi Fry (Okra Fry):
- Take a pan and add 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
- When oil is hot, add on the cumin seeds and hing and let it splutter.
- Add on the sliced onion and green chilli, saute it until the onion gets translucent.
- Then, add on the bhindi (ladies finger/okra) and saute on a medium flame for 5 minutes or until the sliminess or stickiness of the bhindi (ladies finger/okra) is gone.
- Then add on the dry spices, salt, and dried mango powder (amchur) and mix well.
- Then cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the bhindi (ladies finger/okra) is well cooked.
- Stir occasionally so that bhindi (ladies finger/okra) does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Then, add on the ½ tablespoon of garam masala and switch off the flame.
- At last, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the bhindi fry with any kind of Indian breads or as a side dish.