About Baingan Ka Bharta:
Baingan ka bharta/roasted eggplant mash is a very popular North Indian Punjabi Dish which is made with smoky roasted eggplant, Indian spices, and herbs. This recipe goes well with roti, paratha, or with rice as a side dish. Baingan ka bharta is basically fire roasted eggplant mash cooked with Indian spices and herbs.
Benefits of Eggplant (Brinjal):
- Great source of vitamins and mineral.
- Improves digestion.
- Good for bone health.
- Prevents cancer.
- Prevents anemia.
- Good for heart health.
- Increases brain function.
- 1 large eggplant (bharha baingan or brinjal).
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped.
- 2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped.
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves finely chopped.
- 1-2 whole green chillies or to taste.
- 2-3 whole garlic cloves.
- Finely chopped green chillies to taste.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste.
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil.
- Salt to taste.
- Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
Roasting the Eggplant (Brinjal):
- Wash the eggplant and pat dry with kitchen towel or kitchen tissue and make few slits all over the eggplant with a knife and brush the eggplant with oil.
- Now, in those slits, insert 2-3 cloves of garlic and 1-2 green chillies or to taste. Put the eggplant directly on heat and roast until it roasted completely and tender turning often for around 10 minutes.
- When eggplant is well roasted and tender, remove the eggplant from heat and let the eggplant to cool down.
- Once it is cooled, remove the skin and transfer the roasted eggplant to a bowl and mash the roasted eggplant with roasted garlic and roasted green chillies with help of a fork or potato masher or even you can chop the eggplant with a knife or use your hand to mash the roasted eggplant. Keep aside the mashed eggplant for later use.
Method of Making Baingan Ka Bharta (Roasted Eggplant Mash):
- Take a kadai or pan and turn on the flame.
- When Kadai is hot, add 2-3 tablespoons of mustard oil or any kind of cooking oil of your choice.
- When oil is hot, add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add finely chopped onions and garlic and saute them on a medium to high flame until onion turns translucent, do not brown the onions and garlic.
- Then, add finely chopped green chillies to taste and mix well.
- Then, add finely chopped tomatoes and salt to taste and mix well.
- Now cover the lid and cook the tomatoes on a low to medium flame until tomatoes are soft and mushy. Stir occasionally.
- Now add red chilli powder to taste, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder and mix them well.
- Now cook the masala on a low to medium flame for 3-4 minutes or until oil gets separated from the masala.
- Now add mashed eggplant and mix well.
- Now cook the roasted eggplant with the masala on a medium flame for 5-7 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Now turn off the flame and garnish the baingan ka bharta with some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve this baingan bharta with roti, parathas, or with rice as a side dish.